Friday 3 January 2014

Chinese & Me

"Mommy, what is this word?", my preschooler son asked.

I stared into the workbook. CHINESE!

Frantically, in trembled voice, for the millionth time that week, I told him, I coudn't read CHINESE.

"Mommy, Mommy!", he called out to me again.

"NO NO NO! I HATE CHINESE, I CAN'T READ CHINESE!"

"Mommy, Mommy, wake up!"

I opened my eyes and saw my angelic IZ looking at me. Gosh, I was sure glad it was a dream.

I've imagined that for God knows how long.

When my elder niece, Cherry was a preschooler (more than a decade ago), she shoved a Chinese book to me and asked me to read to her. I had to make up the story by looking at the illustration. She said "that's not the same story Mommy told me". That was the first, as well as the last she ever asked me to read to her.

When my younger niece, Sabrina was a preschooler (about 5-6 years ago), she said "my Mommy said you can't read Chinese, so can you teach me Bahasa?"

I guess IZ's turn is coming up real soon... do I...

1) send him to Chinese class?
2) the heard of Chinese speech & drama class? (do they even learn to write and recognise words there?)
3) give up on his Chinese and let him learn whatever he can in the school?
4) bite the bullet and learn some Chinese myself?

For sure, history will repeat itself if I do not take any action...

0 comments:

Post a Comment