Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Tongue Tie Release

It was stressful to keep track of the time and made IZ had his last meal (a pineapple tart), last milk (at 2.30am) and last water (at 6.50am) on the day of surgery.

We arrived at 9.30am sharp.

Registration at 9.30am
We went into the Day Surgery department after registration. Weight and height measured. Numbing cream "plastered".

And he had to take off everything except his underwear..

And change into the hospital "gown"

The sexiest patient I've ever seen

Added tag
 Then we were brought to Level 2 to wait for the surgery.

In the waiting room..

Enjoyed himself while waiting..

I guess he was nervous
After waited what seemed forever.. hmm it was really forever.. the surgery was "supposedly scheduled" at 10.30am.. we were not called for the OT until close to 11.30am.. I started to feel hungry, I could imagine IZ too, but he didn't complain. Felt heart pain seeing his dry lips. I dared not ask him if he was feeling hungry or thirsty.

He's got cold feet while we were headed to OT11, for few steps he took forward, he took one backward. Once he stepped into the OT, he wanted to leave. It was scary.. there were 6-7 staffs in OT attire, although they were all very friendly.

So he refused to blow the balloon (the breathing mask). He chose to be poked, but it took them forever, and he started crying in pain while I held him tight. It didn't occur to me then, why he felt pain when he had numbing cream on both his hands? They didn't manage to poke him even after IZ keeping still for a while.

Apparently the numbing cream didn't spread under the plaster, so the vein area they supposed to poke was not numb. And so he could feel the pain. Duhz!

After another what seemed forever of bubbles blowing and many distractions by the nurses, I decided to bring out my weapon (the tobot smart key), in the hope he would be too distracted to resist anything.

He still refused to use the mask. So they gave us syrup to make him giddy. He refused to drink at first, but finished it eventually, with cup, with syringe, with cup. Estimated time to be giddy, 10mins.

15mins past.. nothing happened, he was not even close to giddy.

Tried to ask him to blow the balloon again, he refused..

By then I was perspiring, desperately trying to keep calm and patient..

The consultant finally said (after 30/45 mins?!) if still cannot put him to sleep, we have to reschedule the surgery.

I finally asked IZ once more "do you want your friends to be able to hear you speak properly?"

He said "yes".

"Ok, so, do as said. You just need to count to 20"

They made him lie down on the bed..

And so he counted .. up to 19.. and he said "20 already what" and struggled to sit up..

Seeing he was still very awake, they held on him, head, hands, legs and "knock him out" - he struggled while losing consciousness (the hardest moments in my parenting life thus far)

I was near to tears when the staffs thanked me, and I thanked them instead. And packed and left the OT. If I was left alone, I would have cried.

I waited outside as asked, I was trembling.

After a while (10mins later), the young doc came out and announced that the tongue tie was released. It was over in 1 minute. He's prescribed some numbing gel and panadol for the wound. We were to go back for post-surgery review the week after. He said the staffs will let me know when I can go in to see IZ.

My bro and hubby then came up to join me.

Another 20mins later, I was asked to go in and look at IZ in the Recovery Room. There was ONE nurse attached to EACH kid. He was still unconcious. They told me usually the kids will regain consciousness after half hour.

1.5 hours passed.. but he didn't show any sign of waking up - despite attempts to wake him. At one point, he sat up, then he knocked out again.

Consultant then came, and pressed the back of his ears to wake him. He woke up with an "OUCH!" and knocked out again. They agreed he was ok to be released to Day Surgery.

He continued sleeping when we transferred him to Day Surgery. And was still sleeping after I finished my lunch.

The nurse told hubby we had to wake him so that he wouldn't get gastric from empty stomach.

Slowly he managed to be awake, although we could see he was still feeling giddy.

We were discharged at 4pm..

I was then stressed about the pain he would probably feel after the surgery. It wasn't until 3 hours later, he crunched and held his jaw in pain. But he didn't cry and didn't complain. Asked if he was feeling painful, he said Yes.

He went about as usual, except for the occasional pause to breathe in when he felt painful. I was really amazed by his pain tolerance. A strong boy I have.

For his bravery....
Spiderman balloon and Captain America from JiuJiu
Tobot Smart Key from daddy and mommy
A bravery award from the hospital

I was really impressed by KKH service:
1) the flow was really smooth - from one point to another
2) the staffs were really friendly and patient - they treat your precious like their very own
3) the hospital is really children friendly - it's really not called a Children's hospital for nothing!
4) one nurse to one child in the recovery room - taking note of their pulses every interval
5) they called me on the 2nd working day after the surgery to check on IZ's condition

Some minor stuffs:
1) numbing cream do not spread under the plaster.. err..
2) pharmacist went for late lunch, thus not able to deliver medicine - luckily hubby was with us, so we could fetch the medicine ourselves
3) I didn't even know which was the doctor which was the nurse!
4) for sure, there were the same SOP questions asked throughout the flow.. when was the last food, when was the last water, any metals in/on the body etc.. Was there a need for some many rounds? The timing wouldn't change, would they?

Now, I'm looking forward to what doc has to say at the post-surgery review.

Well done, IZ!


Anonymous said...

Hi there, I saw your post on the forum and wanted to find out how much was the cost and what insurance you managed to claim under?

IZ Mum said...

Hello, the total bill was about $937 before govt subsidy. We paid $374 using medisave and we managed to claim 100%. Hope this helps.

leehwa (",) j@n|ce said...

Hi I would.like to check whether it was done under subsidized rate or you ppt for private to have professor Henry Tan to perform the surgery? Did you manage to claim from insurance? May I know which insurance company is that? I heard it's considered as congenital and it's not claimable. Thanks

IZ Mum said...

Hi leehwa (",) j@n|ce,

We went through the subsidized route, polyclinic to KKH. Didn't appoint specific doctor to perform the surgery. We managed to claim 100% of the $374 from AIA.

leehwa (",) j@n|ce said...

Thanks for info

Gracie said...

Hello IZ mum,
My boy is 5 this year, we just found out he is tongue tied last year. He could pronounce single word or short phrases correctly. However, when he is trying to speak in a full or long sentences, he will omitted certain alphabet, eg: s, ch, Ge.
We have seen paediatric and speech therapist in KKH. They said his case is minor so they didn't refer us to ENT for the surgery but would like to see him in another 6 months. Our next appointment would be in May.
I have read a lot about this. Some says it will not affect their speech, but some says it really helps after the small surgery is done. I am still pondering.
Would you mind to share more about IZ's post surgery? Does it really help on his speech?

Post a Comment